This is my video on how to draw a circle without fill in Photoshop:
A previous video for another look at it.
It also my first attempt with Camtasia 7.1 (trial).
To draw a circle in Photoshop you need to use the PEN tool, which is a way to create a vector shape.
WARNING. if you use the ellipse tool (holding the SHIFT key while you drag the mouse in order to make a circle) you make a shape of a circle with border AND color inside.
STEP by STEP instructions:
1. Select the PEN tool
2. Select the right boxex in the tool options bar on top, that is, "paths" and "ellipse tool"
3. Hold SHIFT + drag mouse. This create the circle ( as a vector)
4. Right click on circle and select "stroke path" (this draw the circle with pixels)
5. Go up to the options and select the PEN tool
6. Right click on circle and select "delete path" (this delete the vector you created above, leaving the pixels of the circles behind)
NOTE: A "path" is the same as a vector in Photoshop
UPDATE: january 2012
Please continue this tutorial with the following updated page on how to draw a circle with no fill with PS: details and comments from my youtube video.